Servicing or maintenance of a car seems to be man’s job. But there few things women can do on their own for maintenance of their car. There are many simpler ‘do it yourself’ repairs that even woman can do themselves, and one of them is replacing windshield wipers.
Changing the windshield wiper blades may look difficult, but it is pretty easy. It takes only few minutes and fewer efforts. Once you will do this, you will come to know that in spite of being a woman, you can do some repairing of your car.
Here are few tips which will help you to replace your car’s windshield wipers:
- First what you need to do is, to buy the proper size replacement wipers for your car. You can get new wipers from any auto parts store. For proper sized wipers, measure your car’s old wipers or simply take those wipers to the store and then select right wipers for your car. While purchasing, make sure you are buying entire blade, and not only rubber strip.
- Then read the instructions printed on package. Usually the right and left blades will be different, if they are not indicated as which is left and which is right then match them by comparing. With the help of instructions, assemble new wipers so it will be easier for you to replace it.
- After that pull the wipers of your car to the upside position. Before doing this, check in your owner’s manual because many cars have a special procedure for moving the blades to the up or service position.
- After getting right sized windshield wipers, remove old wipers for replacing new ones. While removing wipers, be careful as wiper arm is made of metal and your car’s windshield is of glass. Your one clumsy move and you could crack or scratch your windshield.
- Then with the help of a small screwdriver, release the tab and install new wipers connecting them into a right place. Push the blade arm tabs back into locked position to secure the new blades. After fitting new wipers, make sure blades are firmly locked into a proper place and wipers are working properly.