When you leave your high school and move to college, you leave behind your old friends as well as the comfort and stability of your home. It is obvious to feel a bit uncomfortable and worried of yourself. Thus, making friends in this new milieu can be overwhelming. There are many people out there with similar interests as you, and with a modest effort you’ll be hanging out with people you never dreamt of. Here are a few tips to make friends in college.
- You can invite few of your classmates to eat an informal lunch or dinner at the cafeteria. Make sure you people eat and foster communication. You can also find a crowded cafeteria and ask people if you can sit next to them. You can then start communicating with them and get to know them.
- You can join some clubs or group. This is one of the easiest and effective ways to meet new people. Go by yourself and get to know people on a personal level. There will be different groups like writers, swimmers, painters etc. thus, you can join these groups, explore new avenues and make friends with the different group members.
- Facebook – This has become one of the most effective ways to make friends. You can add your classmates as your friends as well as other college students who you think could be your good friends.
- Participate in some sports activities. When you play some sport, you will spend lots of time practicing which will help in developing teamwork. This will give you opportunities to know many people with a common goal.
- Communicate. Talk to as many people as possible. You can’t make friends while sitting in your dorm or library. Ask questions to your classmates or talk about sports, upcoming events, classwork, food, music and much more.
- College is not only about studies but also about having a good time. Thus, attend your college parties and have some fun. You will meet people that can be your buddies.
- Attend your classes. You won’t find friends lying in your dorm or while sleeping in your class. If you are a frequent class attendee then people will feel comfortable coming to you and talk. If students have never seen you before, they will probably have no common subject to communicate with you.
- Find a job. You can pursue an on campus job which will help you make college friends or you can also practice an off campus job which will help you find other friends as well.
Don’t judge people as no one likes it. The best way to make friends is to be yourself. Avoid faking things as all you students are alike and people don’t like phonies. Making friends is not an overnight process. So never give up and don’t isolate yourself.