At some point of their life, nearly everyone has experienced a long distance relationship. College students have left off their girlfriend or boyfriend in their hometown and live far away from them in the college campus. No matter what the situation is maintaining long distance relationship while at college can be quite a challenge. Thus, if you have somebody special in another zip code use these tip to keep your long distance relationship effective.
- Communicate. This is a very obvious thing to do, but in the jam-packed schedule of the college it is quite difficult to call up your partner. Thus, just a few minutes of talking will keep your long distance relationship healthy and alive. Create some memorable memories. You can fix some dates and talk with your partner on Skype for hours.
- Try and send your partner a card, gift or any care package that will brighten up their day. For people who are separated by long distances, these little gestures will bridge the gap of your hearts.
- Trust your partner. Your relationship will be doomed, if you do not have faith in your partner. There are already many distractions in your partner’s college life and constant questions and jealous behavior will make your relationship more complicated. Thus, remember to be honest.
- It is inevitable that your partner will make friends at college. You will like some of the friends and hate some. Remember that the decision to make friends will be his/hers not yours. So try and make friends with them and do not hurt your partner.
- It may be financially and logistically tough, but plan to visit your partner as often as possible. You can meet his or her new friends, visit the residence place or plan an exclusive date. Thus, spending time with each other will refocus your relationship and will remind you that why you’re together.
- Pay attention to every single thing what your partner says. Your partner will be interested in every single detail about your new life at the campus from their weird professors to their dorm room mess, from the dinning table to their lecture mischief, almost everything. So settle in for a long conversation that might end up with your school memories.
- Besides email and phone calls, make sure that you send a hand-written letter once in a while. It will be a marvelous feeling when your partner find your letter and read the intimate things written by you. In this technological world, we tend to forget this pleasure which is too romantic.
- Be optimistic. Always assume that your partner loves you and care for you. Never assume anything negative about your partner’s comments or anything. If something is wrong, you will know about it, but don’t assume things unnecessarily.
Thus, love, loyalty and belief are the vital ingredients of a long lasting relationship. Maintaining long lasting relationship can be difficult but love your partner and do your best to make your relationship work. Don’t let the distance kill your relationship. It is said that absence makes the heart grow fonder.