Being away from your home for the first time can wreak mayhem to the physical health of many students. While eating at dorms, many students tend to eat unhealthy stuff or even skip meals due to academic pressure. Staying healthy isn’t just related to eating healthy stuff, but staying healthy on campus also refers to keeping your mind, soul and body fit at campus.
Weight gains and flu are common things during campus stay, but here are a few ways to stay healthy on campus and a few preventive steps to stay away from physical ailments.
- First of all, quit all your bad habits. Smoking is very harmful and should be given up as soon as possible. Drinking alcohol is yet another bad habit that should be avoided. There are many other ways to enjoy and have fun on campus.
- Avoid having food late at night. In order to stay fit and healthy on campus maintain a proper diet schedule. Having food late night will cause harm to your figure/physique, skin, teeth and your overall health.
- If you gain a couple of pounds, don’t panic. There are many boys who are still growing and these ‘late bloomers’ will be adding muscles. This is just a normal and healthy weight gain process. Recent survey shows that the average weight gain among freshmen can be around 5 pounds.
- Make sure that you get enough sleep of around 7-8 hours daily. Lack of sleep will prove harmful to your immune system and make you more vulnerable to physical illness and mental fatigue.
- Wash your hands with an antiseptic before having food and after using the washroom. This will kill the harmful germs and will shield you against common cold.
- Have a balanced diet consisting of vegetarian proteins or lean meats, healthy fats such as nuts, oils and fish and high healthy carbs. You can have grilled or baked foods as an alternative for greasy foods. Instead of refined grains have whole grains and replace ice-creams, cookies, cakes etc with fruits and veggies.
- There are a variety of places on the campus like basketball courts, pools etc. where you can workout effectively. Regular exercising will keep you healthy on the campus.
- Have copious amount of water. You can also have fresh water with lemon that will help you keep from thirst and instead of sweetened drinks have seltzer
Consider these tips that will help you enjoy good health and be active on campus.