Dating in college can be amusing as well as exhilarating. When you procure your first step in college, there must be thoughts about dating someone of the opposite sex. Dating in college is supposed to be fun, but now-a-days there have been reports of dating violence which requires attention to the issue of relationship violence. Safe dating is the concept of being cautious while spending time with your partner.
Safe words implies to cases of date rapes, robbery, murder, abuse etc.
Here are a few safe dating tips for college students.
- Before you start dating in your college, make sure that you are not going to harm your self-esteem and self-respect. You should be clear about what you want out of your relationship and also the kind of partner you are looking for. Make sure about the things that you are getting from your relationship and at the same time it is important to compromise.
- Look for people in your class for dating. This is because you probably know them well and they are likely to have similar interests. At the same time avoid dating the person from your dorm. If in case you breakup you will be stuck with each other for the entire year.
- Whenever you go on a date, inform someone, your friend, roommate or anyone. You need not give all the juicy details; just inform someone about where you are going and by what time you will return.
- Indulge in alcohol responsibly. If you’re mature enough to drink it, then probably you’re mature to handle it as well. Make sure that after having alcohol you don’t get in a position where you will regret later.
- Avoid dating your professor. It might be okay, if you date them after the conclusion of the course. The professor is vulnerable to claims that the student was promised good grades in exchange of sexual favors. This may cause an end to the professor’s career as well as you can come under suspicion of sexual harassment as well.
- If you don’t know your date very well then a romantic candlelight dinner at your date’s apartment may not be a good idea. So, goo somewhere in public during your first few dates.
- Carry cash. It is possible that an interesting date can turn out to be dour all of a sudden. Now you’re stuck at some pub and want to leave. If you have some money in your wallet you can leave the place with ease.
- Last but not the least, listen to your guts. If you get some negative thoughts about your date, listen to that feeling and leave him. There might be some reason and most probably you will make a right decision.
Thus, safe college dating will ensure your physical and emotional safety. Safe dating is not the concept to develop fear in you, but it will make your date more rewarding.